Scale Up Now for sustainable energy

To limit global warming in line with the 1.5 degree scenario of the Paris Agreement, we need to drastically reduce global carbon emissions by 2030.

To cut carbon emissions, we need to Scale Up Now

To limit global warming in line with the 1.5 degree scenario of the Paris Agreement, we need to drastically reduce global carbon emissions by 2030.

The global energy system has a vital role to play in the journey to reduce carbon emissions, but decarbonizing global energy depends on  worldwide political commitment to the green energy transition.

COP26 is a chance to make the shift from talk, into action.

The solutions needed to reduce carbon emissions already exist, but without a drastic scale up of these solutions, we won’t be able to decarbonize the main components of the global energy system. Policy makers must act to scale up now.

Meeting the conditions of the Paris Agreement requires a drastic shift from talk, to action. We need policy makers to support a shift in investment patterns, remove regulatory obstacles, and focus on building electricity infrastructure. It costs less to save our planet, than it does to spoil it.

From grey, to green

Decarbonise electricity faster - Scale up green electricity now

Placing renewable-generated power at the center of energy systems is the underlying condition for slashing carbon emissions, but decarbonizing power still has a long way to go. Currently renewables account for 29% of global electricity generation. The remaining 71% is powered by fossil fuels and nuclear. To enable a decarbonized global energy system, renewable capacity has to reach 9 times today’s capacity by 2050.

Decarbonise electricity faster - Scale up renewable energy now

Decarbonizing electricity is a key condition for decarbonizing the broader energy landscape, it is the foundation upon which a sustainable energy system should be built. Decarbonizing electricity can be achieved through installing more renewable power generation (eg, wind, solar). At present, renewables are not being installed fast enough to decarbonize electricity at the pace needed to meet the 2030 timeline. Installing at the current pace would get us to net-zero compatible capacity by 2104.

Less talk, more action

Make renewable installation easier, Scale up renewable energy installations now

Policy makers must support the decarbonization of electricity by making renewable installations easier, and by ensuring that the necessary infrastructure and flexibility solutions are in place to connect new renewable power plants with demand. This can be achieved by removing regulatory obstacles, such as permitting, that slow down the development of renewable power projects.

Shift investment to clean tech

Make renewables central in global energy investment, Scale up renewable investment now  

Energy investment must shift from fossil fuels into renewables, electricity networks and flexibility solutions, such as storage. This is critical to ensure that sustainable energy components can scale up. Shifting investment not only yields positive returns with regard to emissions reductions, it delivers long-term societal value, as well as GDP growth. Investing in net-zero will increase the GDP by 4% by 2030. 

Find out more about Vestas
V112 installation, Macarthur Windfarm, Australia

Sustainability at Vestas

In February 2020, we launched our first Sustainability Strategy, entitled Sustainability in Everything We Do...

Public Affairs

Transparency is crucial for us. Please find our sustainability reports and publicly available documents...

Our Products

At Vestas, our entire company is founded upon the desire to drive the energy transition. We produce best-in-class...


Components and raw materials currently make up more than 80 percent of…