Vestas introduces rating of 4.2 MW and three new turbine variants, including the industry’s highest yield low wind onshore turbine
The announcement introduces the fourth generation of the platform since its launch in 2010 and takes the platform’s turbine portfolio to eight turbines, including the three new variants: V117-4.0/4.2 MW, V136-4.0/4.2 MW, and V150-4.0/4.2 MW. With its introduction, the V150-4.0/4.2 MW offers the largest rotor in its class and becomes the highest yielding onshore turbine in low wind.
The upgraded platform and its versatility is the result of Vestas’ industry-leading investments in research and development and unparalleled scale and global reach, enabling Vestas to develop turbines for wind sites all across the globe. By offering customisation beyond classic wind regime classification, the 4 MW platform sets new standards for onshore wind performance within regimes ranging from very strong wind and typhoon conditions to low wind.
Anders Vedel, Vestas Chief Technology Officer, said: “With today’s announcement, Vestas unfolds even more of the platform’s potential, ensuring that we offer market-leading wind energy solutions. Building on state of art technology, the three new variants, 4.0 MW nominal rating and option of 4.2 MW Power Optimised Mode show Vestas’ ability to efficiently drive down the Levelised Cost of Energy and hereby lead the industry through changing market conditions.”
Combining the industry’s tallest tower of 166 meters with the evolutionary development of a thoroughly understood platform, the V150-4.0/4.2 MW offers 20+ percent more AEP in low wind* while lowering the maximum sound level down to 104.9 dBa. The V136-4.0/4.2 MW raises the bar in medium wind conditions through increased AEP, while achieving leading sound power levels in its class with 103.9 dBa. Expanding Vestas’ unparalleled global reach, the global introduction of the V117-4.0/4.2 MW expands the 4 MW platform into strong wind or typhoon type wind conditions.
Since the platform, now named 4 MW, was first introduced with the V112-3.0 MW turbine in 2010, Vestas has installed more than 4,000 turbines across 34 countries on six continents.
For updated Vestas photographs and videos, please visit our media images page on: https://www.vestas.com/en/media/images.
For more information, please contact:
Head of External Communications
Tel: +45 4181 3922
* Compared to the V136-3.45 MW and depending on site specific conditions
About the 4 MW platform
- Strengthening the existing platform with three additional variants: V117-4.0/4.2 MW, V136-4.0/4.2 MW, and V150-4.0/4.2 MW, the versatile 4 MW platform now has a portfolio of eight turbine models including V105-3.45 MW, V112-3.45 MW, V117-3.45 MW, V126-3.45 MW, V136-3.45 MW, V117-4.0 MW, V136-4.0 MW, and V150-4.0/4.2 MW. It is thus the same proven platform, but more powerful than ever.
- With more than 4,000 turbines installed across 34 countries on 6 continents, Vestas’ 4 MW platform is one of the world’s most applied and versatile turbine solutions.
- Launched in 2010, evolutionary upgrades to the 4 MW platform have resulted in up to 56 percent increase in annual energy production (AEP) depending on wind class.
- The 4 MW platform benefits from a high level of performance data and insights from diverse conditions: seven years of operational experience, from more than 4,000 turbine across the globe.
Vestas is the energy industry’s global partner on sustainable energy solutions. We design, manufacture, install, and service wind turbines across the globe, and with more than 83 GW of wind turbines in 75 countries, we have installed more wind power than anyone else. Through our industry-leading smart data capabilities and unparalleled more than 73 GW of wind turbines under service, we use data to interpret, forecast, and exploit wind resources and deliver best-in-class wind power solutions. Together with our customers, Vestas’ more than 22,000 employees are bringing the world sustainable energy solutions to power a bright future.
We invite you to learn more about Vestas by visiting our website at http://www.vestas.com and following us on our social media channels: